Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My Filipino girlfriend and I have gone thru the Fiancee visa

process and she is now...
My Filipino girlfriend and I have gone thru the Fiancee visa process and she is now in the US. We will be getting married today in California. What are the next steps, what forms and cost will we expect? Thank you,
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Immigration Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Barry Williams: I am a US citizen. I know of no other pending applications.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We are trying to avoid the costs.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank you.
8/16/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Congratulations! Once you two are married, submit all these forms

I-485, I-864, I-130A, I-765 (work permit- optional), I-131 (travel advanced parole -optional), G-1145 (optional). Throughout the forms, remember you are the PETITIONER and your spouse is the BENEFICIARY. This will help in filling them out. You can find all forms here http://www.uscis.gov/forms

Read the I-864 carefully and make sure your income qualifies, if not you need a joint sponsor.

Together with the forms you will also send:

-Immigration medical exam for your spouse (find a doctor that performs these at https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV)

-2 passport style photos for you,6 for your spouse (2 photos each for I-485, I-131, I-765)

-Check or money orders $1225 made to DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

-Copy of Marriage Certificate

-Copy of your US passport biographical page

-Copy of your spouse's passport biographical page

-Copy of your spouse's I-94 and last visa

-Copy of your spouse's birth certificate with certified translation if needed

- Copy of both person's divorce judgments or death certificates for previous marriages

- Your last tax returns and W-2/1099

-Documents proving that your marriage is bona fide. Examples: Joint children birth certificates Joint lease agreement, joint bank account, joint income tax filing, joint credit cards, joint bills, joint car insurance, joint health insurance, drivers license with same address, joint memberships, receipts of large purchases together, proof of trips together, many pictures together from wedding and other events alone and with family and friends. Last resort would be sworn affidavits from people that know both of you and are witnesses of the relationship and/or wedding.

Make a copy of your whole packet for yourself. Mail the original to:

USCIS

PO Box 805887

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

This is the address if you want to do Express mailing:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

Once you file all these documents, you will receive a receipt notice in the mail for each of the applications in 2-3 weeks. After that in about 4 weeks your spouse will receive an appointment to have biometrics (fingerprints) taken at the local USCIS office. Your Spouse should then receive a work permit and travel permit (advanced parole) in about 3-4 months, if you sent those applications in also. Your spouse should not travel outside the US until receiving this travel permit or the whole process will be considered abandoned. If your spouse doesn't submit the I-131, travel permit, it's fine;spouse can travel once they receive the green card. They can get a driver's license once they have the work permit.

Your spouse will later receive an interview notice to attend the USCIS/immigration interview in about 4-5 months and then you must both attend the interview.

As far as documents related to the marriage, send in whatever you have by mail at the time that you apply but don't worry if you don't have too much. You can take updated documents to the interview such as updated/more bank statements, updated joint bills, updated lease if it's a new one, updated tax return if you have filed a new one by the time of interview, and an album with many pictures from different times in relationship.

To the interview you will also take the originals of all certificates (marriage, birth, divorce) and passport for both of you.

If all goes well,your spouse will be approved that day and will receive green card in about 2 weeks!

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly now click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. Do not worry, the question will NOT actually finish and we will NOT be done even after you click and rate me. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. Of course, 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from what you paid the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

Again, if you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)

-------------------

This green card will be a conditional green card given for 2 years because you will have been married LESS than 2 years when approved.

If for some reason the process is delayed and you are married 2 years or more when spouse gets approved, spouse would receive her permanent green card - good for 10 years.

If spouse is given the conditional card, in 2 years you two will file the I-751 form to remove the conditions and get the permanent card. You can actually file it 90 days before the anniversary date that spouse was given the conditional card. At that point you would just send updated documents (similar to what you send now) proving you are still married. Usually an interview is not needed, however in some cases they do call you in for an interview and you would both have to go in.

There is no way to skip right to the permanent card unless you wait to apply until you have been married at least a year and a half. If you do that, by the time you go in for an interview, you will have already been married two years.

-------------

You can immediately file the following forms:

I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, i-864, I_130A. Throughout the forms, remember your spouse is the PETITIONER and you are the BENEFICIARY. This will help in filling them out. You can find all forms here http://www.uscis.gov/forms

Read the I-864 carefully and make sure your spouse's income qualifies.

-Immigration medical exam for you (find a doctor at https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV)

-2 passport style photos for spouse, 8 for you (2 for each form I-130, I485, I131, I765)

-2 checks or money orders $1225 and $535 made to DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

-Copy of Marriage Certificate

--Copy of your passport biographical page

-Copy of your spouse's US passport biographical page

-Copy of your I-94

-Copy of your birth certificate with certified translation if needed

-Documents proving that your marriage is bona fide such as: Joint children birth certificates, Joint lease agreement, joint bank accounts, joint income tax filing, joint credit cards, joint bills, joint car insurance, joint health insurance, drivers license - change address, many pictures from wedding and other events alone and with family.

AND - Your spouse's last tax returns and W-2

USCIS

PO Box 805887

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

This is the address for Express mailing:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

Once you file all these documents, you will receive a receipt notice in the mail for each of the applications in 2-3 weeks. After that in about 4 weeks you will receive an appointment to have biometrics (fingerprints) taken at the local USCIS office. You should then receive a work permit and travel permit in about 3-4 months (if you filed for it). You should not travel outside the US until receiving this travel permit or the whole process will be considered abandoned. You can get a driver's license once you have the work permit.

You will later receive interview notice with immigration in about 4-5 months and then you must both attend the interview. If all goes well, you will be approved on that day and will receive green card in about 2 weeks.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney