Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a Russian friend describing to come to usa over xmas…

I have a Russian...

I have a Russian friend describing to come to usa over xmas for*****trip from Vegas to SD then up cal 1 to SF, Napa and Yosemite. she is mother, lawyer and home owner

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

She filed last week and received initial response of probable denial and now has appt with American consul in Russia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what is pertinent. I was just in Russia for 2 weeks, we travelled to Hong Kong together, we are friends enjoying travel, she has established life in Russia and I am business owner in USA. No plans or discussions of marriage just a friendship desire to travel together

8/16/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

She has been denied the visa? Do you know why?

she has not actually been denied she got a call Fromm agency that issued visa stating that automatically they do not want to do visa she must now go to conversation nw/consul
can't take call at moment
any feedback?
no desire to shoot the messenger just trying to gain insight as to reality and possible outcome for peace of mind

Sorry for the delay. I am assisting other customers at the same time. So you are saying that nothing has been filed for her yet? They aren't going to speak to her at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate if nothing has been filed.

she said she has applied for a visa sometime last week

Then she has to wait for the processing. Essentially, she must have a valid reason for visiting, must have a way to support herself without working illegally, must have significant ties to her home country, and must have the intent to return home.

A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why she is coming to the U.S., how much time she will need and that perhaps she will have a place to stay so that she doesn't have to spend money. Usually you want to show that she is going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. So your letter should state why you are inviting her and that you will provide room and board while she is here visiting. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S. or if there is a romantic connection, the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country.

Now as to some of the ties, she will need to show that she has significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that she has had for awhile that she would not normally abandon.

So if she is young, and without much money or any property or a good job, she would probably be denied. They would see her as a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them.

I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

she got phone response and now to go to speak with consul
sorry I was looking throughtn phone records to get exact details

As her visa is processed, they will eventually schedule her for interview. At the interview she will have to prove that she has strong ties to her country and non-immigrant intent. If she can do that, she should be approved.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

she is 45, lawyer of her own firm, owns 2 flats, has a son and elaborate social life
I'll do so thanks

Ok. Then if she can prove all of that, they should approve her visa to come to the U.S.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!