Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have chinese driver licence. My licence is both in Englsih…

I am Chinese, and...

I am Chinese, and I have chinese driver licence. My licence is both in Englsih and Chinese. I am now in USA as a visitor (B1/B2 visa) and live in my daughter's house in Maryland.I can legally stay in this country until October. My question is

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Ii haven't finished yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My question is

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My question is: Could I drive in Maryland?

8/16/2017
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Yes it is legal to drive in the state of Maryland with a valid driver's license from China.

Just make sure you have your driver's license physically with you whenever you are driving, as that is the law here in the US.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your the explicit answer. May I further ask you to kindly provide me the former law document related to your answer. And more, If I am stoped and checked by police officers during my driving, can I show your answer (print of this page) to them?
Hi, yes you can print this off and show it to the officers, if you are ever stopped.Hopefully that would be helpful just in case they are not familiar with this area of law.Here is a link to the page on the Maryland Motor Vehicle Agency website that states that Maryland has a driver's lincense reciprocity agreement with China:http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/apply/international-applicants.htm#reciprocityagreementsI hope that helps! You can print that page directly from the MVA.gov site as well, if you'd like to keep a copy with you.Please let me know if you still have any other questions. I'll be away from the site for a few hours but can get back to you once I return.Take care!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much.

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you!