Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am planning to apply for citizenship based on being a

Customer Question
I am planning to...

I am planning to apply for citizenship based on being a permanent resident for at least five years. While filling out the N-400 form, I was asked to provide information on our previous spouses. My current spouse and I were married before the divorce had been granted to my wife, even though she had legally separated from her previous spouse. What legal jeopardy might this present both for my application and for our marriage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I am a permanent resident. I have no pending applications.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/9/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your immigration law question today.

The questions in relation to past marriages and relationships are to ensure that your status as permanent resident was granted in compliance with US immigration law so that if you gained a green card through marriage it was a good faith marriage. If it comes to the Consulate Officer's attention that your marriage was a fraud then further immigration benefits and citizenship can be denied.

The crime of bigamy is also something that would make you ineligible to for naturalization and hence the inquiring into past relationships. SO long as you yourself haven't been involved in polygamy , bigamy or a sham marriage for immigration benefits, you will pass this portion of the the application.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me as required.

In return I ask you to click the FIVE STARS rating icon.

By rating 5******, 4****, or better I get a credit for my time and assistance to you.

Best

Attorney Bill

Dear Customer,

I would like to follow up with you on your recent question.

Do you need any more information or clarification ?

Just a reminder that we experts count on positive ratings to get a credit for our reponses.

I'm not an employee of justanswer.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you RATE FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill