Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My mother was a legal alien in the US before she died in…

Customer Question
I am Canadian. My...

I am Canadian. My mother was a legal alien in the US before she died in April. I went to Florida to tend to her estate, fell in love and got pregnant. I am

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am in Canada now but would like to return legally to be with my partner and have our baby

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
My partner is legally married with divorce proceedings pending, so I can not get a fiance visa yet.
8/7/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Until/unless your partner is divorced, he cannot sponsor you. Which means you can:

1) Wait for him to finalize the divorce, and then file for you (the wait for processing is about 6 months from start to finish); or

2) Come to USA on a student or work visa. Out of these, student visa is easiest. Let me know if you need more information about this. However, know that in terms of paperwork, it may simply be easier to wait for him to be divorced so he can sponsor you.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law