How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5230
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend card has expired over 7 years...what problems can

Customer Question

my friend green card has expired over 7 years...what problems can he incur?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can it cause a problem on his job
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Yes. Your friend continues to be a US legal permanent still even if the card is expired. That doesn't change. However, he just doesn't have proof of the status. If someone were to ask of it from him, he has nothing valid to show and that can be an issue

Many employers do ask for proof of current permission to accept work. If they ask and you don't have a valid green card, they can definitely do it.

The best thing is to apply to renew it immediately to be on the safe side and have proof if necessary.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found out that it can cause a problem even future deportation...because of the laps..if it's gets involved
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I.n.s. gets involved...part of the question that didn't translate.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

It can cause problems like deportation if the person cannot prove that they are in the country legally if INS (now called USCIS) comes and asks about it at work. The green card is the best evidence to prove the person is legal. That's why it should always be up to date and valid. They should apply to renew it right away on form I-90 found on

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" now and RATE me by choosing from the STARS. Don't worry, the question will NOT close and will NOT be finished. It stays OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge if you have any.

Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important. This is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time here.

Again, if you just have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I am the one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in the beginning of your new post.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.