Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can someone on a P1A non-immigrant visa supplement their…

Can someone on a...

Can someone on a P1A non-immigrant visa supplement their income with say a part time job at McDonalds

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No he is currently on a business affairs visitor visa - and wants to change status

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No - just looking into the process now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cost for the questions

8/4/2017
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, no. You are limited to only conducting yourself in the sport for which you obtained the P status. This is highly restricted because the U.S. does not want you to compete against U.S. workers or students for jobs or opportunities. So you are restricted to what is listed on your P petition. I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

That is not a problem - would a internationally recognized athletic coach qualify got the H1B? And if so would he be able to coach and supplement his income provided the other employer also filled out the I-129.

The same problem. Let's say the coach is able to get into H-1B, he would be limited to only working for the H-1B employer, no one else. As to getting an H-1B, that's problematical. First, he must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent. Next, he must have a job offer, the job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to his degree and experience. The position must also normally require a bachelor's degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay him what is normally paid to someone in that position. All these things must be provable with financials, business plan, etc. Also, because they are used up for this year, he will need to apply on April 1, 2018 to start working on October 1, 2018 or later. The exception is if he applies for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Last question, what would be the recommended visa type for an athletic coach that would need to work for extra income...

There really isn't one except perhaps the H-2B. For an H-2B worker visa, it is expensive and difficult to get because the employer would have to go through an expensive process called a Labor Certification where the position is advertised in the local media, the employer must receive all resumes and eliminate all candidates for valid reasons, not just because they have a job for him. This is to prove that he would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2b-non-agricultural-workers/h-2b-temporary-non-agricultural-workers

If he is Canadian and can prove that he has a job offer in a specialty profession, he could try for a TN visa:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/tn-nafta-professionals

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.