Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'll try to shortly describe the situation: My step son (is…

Customer Question
I'll try to shortly...

I'll try to shortly describe the situation:

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

My step son (is active military) filed paper for his mom for family reunion. Meanwhile my stepson's sister (overseas) committed a crime and most likely will end up in the prison. My stepson's mother become a guardian of her 3 kids. If she will get a visa/green card, will be able to bring kids with her to USA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. This situation happened for last 2 weeks. Paper was filed (receipt come) in November 2016.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just worried about kids - 9, 6 and 3 years old now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, please do not click Opt Out or close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, no she will not be able to bring those children with her. The children are not hers, and there is no provision in immigration law that allows for children who are under the guardianship of an immigrant to come with the immigrant. If they are her children, that is one thing. But they are under guardianship, and that will not work.

I'm very sorry. But this is not my decision. I am just giving you information. The law does not make that possible.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!