Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

Im on supervised release, a born U.S citiZen, will i have a

Customer Question

Im on supervised release, a born U.S citiZen, will i have a problem applying for a passport ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Unfortunately yes, if you are on probation then you may in fact encounter some difficulty in obtaining a passport.

Alot depends on what exactly you are on supervised release for.

For example, drug related felony convictions and non-payment of child support cases tend to be the basis for an outright denial of a US passport application.

If you are not on probation for one of the above mentioned things, then there is a small chance that you could receive your passport. It has happened before.

However for the most part, in practice if it does comes up during processing that you are currently on supervised release, then unfortunately your request for a passport would be denied -- in which case you would have to wait until your supervised release has ended to re-apply, at which time you should have no problem obtaining the passport.

Keep in mind the terms of your probation most likely require that you not leave the country during the probation term -- you want to make sure not to violate the terms of your release so that you don't run into any legal trouble or face a more serious penalty than probation.

It's best to complete your probation sentence, adhering to all requirements, and avoid any potential violations that would cause you more difficulty.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!