Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I'm a permanent US resident. I still have 2 years remaining…

Customer Question
Hi there,I'm a permanent US...
Hi there,I'm a permanent US resident. I still have 2 years remaining to be able to apply for citizenship.
My girlfriend recently came to the US with a visitor visa.
What are our options to get married and apply for a green card for her?
What would be the process? and what would happen if at any moment she stays in the US without any legal status?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: If you get married now and petition for her, that is fine. But she is not eligible for adjustment of status because you are a permanent resident, not a US citizen. That means she would be denied and told to wait until a green card for the spouse of a permanent resident is available (there is about a year and a half wait time).

However if she enters the US legally, and then falls out of status, and then you become a US citizen, she can apply for adjustment of status because she would then be considered an "immediate relative" of a US citizen.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply.To be honest I was expecting a more thorough answer.
Can we at least apply to the I-130 form? Can she apply for a EAD while we wait?
What forms de we need to prepare?
What is your advice? to get married now and then apply after 2 years once I'm a citizen?

Sorry about that. I answer the questions that are posted, and then when customers require more information, they just ask. It's not a problem.

ANSWER: Yes you can file the I-130. That is what I meant by "If you get married now and petition for her, that is fine."

No. The EAD is only available to those who are eligible for adjustment of status. And as I mentioned, she is not yet eligible for that yet. Not until 1.5 years have passed or you become a US citizen.

Getting married now doesn't help her stay. So that decision is up to you. But I cannot tell her to stay in the US illegally. That would be a violation of my ethical duty to advise her to violate immigration laws. What she decides to do is up to her.

In the end, the wait time of 1.5 year to be eligible is shorter than the 2 years it takes you to become a citizen, but she would still need some lawful basis to be in the US if she applied through your permanent resident status. Whereas if she does it when you become a US citizen, she can be int he US illegally (As long as she entered the US legally).

The only forms you can prepare are after you get married, and that is the I-130.

If you get married and become a US citizen, then it is the I-130 and I-485 together.

I hope that helps. Kindly remember that in order for me to get credit for doing my job, you have to go to the top of this page and click on 4 or 5 stars. You can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer