Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Please don't get me wrong but I DO NEED A EXPERT IN

Customer Question
Please don't get me wrong...
Please don't get me wrong but I DO NEED A EXPERT IN IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY.
My question is: 1.- How difficult it is to change my married name to my maiden name through I C E or INS,? 2.- What documents do I need to present? 3.- How long will approximately take from beginning to end?. 4.- How much will it cost?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Thank you so much for coming to this website. Let me take your questions one by one.

1. You do not need to change your name with ice or with ins. You can change your name pursuant to the procedures of your state.

2. The documents that you usually need to present or things like a birth certificate if you have one, A social security card if you have one, a marriage certificate if you have one, or whatever of the documentation that the state may require that allows you to change your name legally.

3. Typically, the name change process will depend on the state. Because name changes are so common, many times name changes can take place within just a matter of days. You may receive the documentation that you are looking for, like a new social security card, within 4 to 6 weeks. When my wife got married and she had to change her name, it took about that time.

4. Again, this depends heavily on where you are located. For example, the filing fee is currently $150 in Massachusetts, $200 in New Jersey and $435 in California. Regardless, I would expect to save up about $500 to go through the entire process.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

I asked the previous questions because if when I travel abroad my driver license & other documents will not match upon my crossing the border back to the USA due to all the new rules from the government, so my question is I will be better of changing my name on all of the documents, right?
Also do you have any good attorney that could help with filling out the forms in Waukesha/Milwaukee area that you can recommend!

I can certainly understand your concern. My recommendation that is to work on getting your name changed first legally, then you can work on getting your name changed on all of the documents. Keep in mind that Customs officials and other government officials are going to not look at every document the same. For example, if you have a Social Security card with your new name on it, they will know that the federal government approved of this name change. On the other hand, if you just provide a basic ID that you got it a check cashing place with your new name, then they're not going to look at it the same way. I hope that makes sense.

As far as recommending a specific attorney, I wouldn't be able to do that because the site does not allow us to do so. One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for theWisconsin LRS - click here. Did you have any other questions for me?

sir, I went to that website and I didn't find any immigration attorney

I see what you mean. I should have clarified. On Monday Morning, you should call(###) ###-####and speak with someone about finding an immigration attorney. Because of WI's proximity to Canada and because WI is a state friendly to immigrants in general, you should be able to find one in your county or an adjacent county.

Also, if you click here, you can fill out your information and specifically find an immigration attorney.