How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my Bosnian friend's elderly mom gets a resident visa,

Customer Question

If my Bosnian friend's elderly mom gets a resident visa, will my friend be responsible for all her medical care? (She will be the sponsor). Will a state-funded hospital treat the pre-existing conditions? The mom is 85 years old and has nobody to care for her in Bosnia. My friend and her husband cannot take hospitalization burden, etc... Any suggestions?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: My friend and her husband are naturalized US citizens.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I am trying to help without incurring the high fees.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The elderly Bosnian lady has pre-existing heart conditions. My friend and husband are worried about signing the Sponsorship Contract (i-864) that makes them totally liable. And insurance cost is prohibitive! (Over $700 per month and DOES NOT pay for any pre-existing conditions).
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.