Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

If my Bosnian friend's elderly mom gets a resident visa,

Customer Question

If my Bosnian friend's elderly mom gets a resident visa, will my friend be responsible for all her medical care? (She will be the sponsor). Will a state-funded hospital treat the pre-existing conditions? The mom is 85 years old and has nobody to care for her in Bosnia. My friend and her husband cannot take hospitalization burden, etc... Any suggestions?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: My friend and her husband are naturalized US citizens.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I am trying to help without incurring the high fees.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The elderly Bosnian lady has pre-existing heart conditions. My friend and husband are worried about signing the Sponsorship Contract (i-864) that makes them totally liable. And insurance cost is prohibitive! (Over $700 per month and DOES NOT pay for any pre-existing conditions).
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.