Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN GET A NEW CARD BECAUSE I LOSE…

Customer Question
HI I WOULD LIKE...

HI I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN GET A NEW GREEN CARD BECAUSE I LOSE IT AN I AM IN MEXICO

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

NO I DONT

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO AND THE THING IS THAT I HAVE MORE THE A COUPLE OF YEARS HERE BECUASE MY PARENTS DIED AND THEY WERE FROM HERE AND I ONLY HAVE MY SOCIAL SECURITY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO I THINK THATS ALL

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. According to USCIS:

You must replace your Green Card if:

• You were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within six months.

• You have a Permanent Resident Card that does not have an expiration date on it.

• Your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

• You were issued a card valid for 10 years before you turned 14 years old, and it will not expire before your 16th birthday.

• Your card was issued with incorrect data (name, DOB, issued date) due to USCIS administrative error.

You also may replace your Green Card if:

• Your name or other biographic information has been legally changed.

• You have taken up commuter status. This means you commute regularly to work in the United States but reside in Canada or Mexico.

In order to replace (or renew) your Green Card (Permanent Resident Card), you must:

• Complete the Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Review the form instructions for directions on how to complete the form.

• Submit the Filing Fee(s). Include the appropriate filing fees (including the biometric services fee, if applicable).

• Submit Evidence. Include all required evidence and any supporting documentation.

• Sign and File the Form I-90. File the application at the correct filing location according to form instructions. Any application that is not signed will be rejected with a notice that the application is deficient.

If you want to receive an e-Notification, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and clip it to the first page of your application.

You can always find more information by clicking here

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

how can i know my record i really been out of u.s since 2010 and i never worked with my social security
but my green card i lose it like 15 year ago and i dont remember if it was a permanent without expiration date

Hi, I haven’t forgotten about you. I’m just wrapping up with another customer and I will be with you shortly.

So, one of the things that you probably want to do is contact USCIS to discuss this. Even if you don't remember whether it was permanent without an expiration date or whether it had an expiration date, they will be able to tell you. additionally, that is only one of the reasons. If your card was lost, stolen, or damaged then you have to get a replacement, regardless of whether there was an expiration date. Did you have any other questions for me?

what do you recomend me to do?

My best recommendation would be to contact USCIS and find out how you can get a replacement. If you provide them enough information, they will be able to tell you the status of your green card, whether it has an expiration date, and they can also direct you on how to get replacement. In your case, it seems as if because it was lost, regardless of an expiration date, you should be able to get a replacement from USCIS. From my understanding, you should expect a long wait time, but getting a green card replacement can really help you get back and forth into the United States without any issue.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer