Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

A relative of mine applied for the citizenship and is

approved to take the oath...
A relative of mine applied for the citizenship and is approved to take the oath this month. However, he may have to ask for a postpone for several years or even abandonment of the application this time. The risk is that USCIS may take it as a derogatory message and make trouble to him in his immigrant status and result of reopen, although he would write to USCIS to explain according to 8 CFR 335.5.
Our question is:If he writes to USCIS explain his abandonment, can he renew his green card as usual and reapply (given that he could not save the current status for a future time) for naturalization in few years?We are looking forward to an answer out of experience in the law firm based on real cases.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

USCIS will not reschedule the oath ceremony for so long. If he never appears to his oath ceremony and write to USCIS explaining that he wishes to abandon the citizenship for now and will not appear at the ceremony, he would not have issues renewing his green card. He is a permanent resident until the day that he goes to the oath ceremony. He should make an appointment and do this in person in his local USCIS office and ask for a supervisor to make sure that it is done correctly. This is not something that he wants to risk. https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" now and RATE me by choosing from the STARS. Don't worry, the question will NOT close and will NOT be finished. It stays OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge if you have any.

Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important. This is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time here.

Again, if you just have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I am the one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in the beginning of your new post.

Thank you for the advice! It is a good idea to have a meeting with the USCIS officer. What could happen if the officer does not like the reason that causes the postpone or abandonment? Any suggestions to make it acceptable by them?

The officer does not have to like the reason for his postponement/abandonment. There is no law that forces him to become a US citizen. That is an option that he has if he wishes to use it or not. Many people decide they do not want citizenship for example, in order to not jeopardize other citizenship's that they have

I hope this has helped you and I hope that you can kindly leave a good rating.

Thank you in advance.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Many thanks! *****

You're welcome!

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney