KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I have aquestion regarding my us passport I had one 30 some

Customer Question

I have aquestion regarding my us passport I had one 30 some years ago I'm a naturalized us citizen I lost that passport how do I go about getting a new one
JA: What is your official status? Was any immigration paperwork filed with the government?
Customer: Yes I had a us passport
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer?
Customer: No that's why
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to discuss this with you so I can explain it better. Please give me a call at(###) ###-#### Thank you!
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney and I will assist you today. I cannot do a phone call right now and will proceed online, if your are ok with that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
of course.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will just do this through text
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Ok.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Do you still have your naturalization certificate?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, that is the problem. I don't know where to get that from. It got lost a long time ago. I've been here since 1973. I became a naturalized citizen around 1980 or a little before.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you help me to figure that out. Where I go from here?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Yes. Don’t worry. People lose passports and Naturalization Certificates all the time. You should not have any problems replacing both, outside of the usual hassles of collecting all the documents and paying fee, in getting replacements.

When you get the replacements, you should make photocopies or scanned images of the documents. (There is a statement on the Naturalization Certificate about photocopying is prohibited. Making a photocopy for backup is an allowed use.)

You must first replace the naturalization certificate to apply for the lost passport. You must complete Form N-565 to apply for a replacement certificate of citizenship. It can be filed in person or by mail with the local USCIS office having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

If you reside in AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, SC, OK, PA, PR, RI, TN, TX, VA, VI, VT, WV

• Submit your N-565 to the USCIS Texas Service Center at: DHS/USCIS Texas Service Center PO Box 851182 Mesquite, TX###-##-####/li>

If you reside in AK, AZ, CA, CO, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, ND, OH, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY

• Submit your N-565 to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center at: DHS/USCIS Nebraska Service Center PO Box 87565 Lincoln, NE###-##-####/li>

If your previous passport was lost or stolen, it will not present a legal problem for you either. The fact that 30 years have lapsed since its issuance will not have any legal consequences.

You'll have to apply for a new one in person after you obtain the certificate at your local post office. You'll need to bring two forms in your case, the standard DS-11 passport application and Form DS-64, which asks you to describe what happened to your little blue book.

I don't foresee any problems with your getting a replacement naturalization certificate or a passport.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

No, it is not an issue and affect your background check. Since you were already are a green card holder, they won't ask you about employment because you have been lived for 5 years. You will be fine. Many people, who have been laid off or lost their job or claimed unemployment benefits, passed the interview and became US citizens.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Disregard the last two paragraphs, it mistakenly copied from a previous customer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not paid for assisting you with your question unless you rate the questions with stars. If you have follow up questions after rating you can ask for no additional charges by JA.