Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife is Philippine citizen and we were married in

Customer Question
My wife is Philippine...

My wife is Philippine citizen and we were married in Missouri she is now living in the Philippines how can I get a divorce both of us are agreed no contest

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you both currently living in the United States, and what are your immigration statuses?

No she is living in the philippines

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that we were married in texas county Missouri and she is now in the Philippines and will not return she is willing to sign a no contest waiver

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

As long as you've lived in Missouri for at least six months, the judge can enter a divorce there for you. You'll file a Complaint for Divorce and serve her with notice via certified mail. When she doesn't respond, you'll then be able to file a Motion for Default Judgment. The court has an Affidavit for Service by Mail that you'll fill out and complete when you file the Complaint.

Sometimes, you'll have to go in for a hearing where you testify under oath that your marriage is broken and cannot be repaired. It depends on the judge. But the process should be fairly straightforward when she's not there to contest anything.

The forms and instructions are available online. At the end of the Complaint for Divorce, you'll request a summons because your spouse will not be signing the papers.

http://www.selfrepresent.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=3832

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.