Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My I-94 is expired, what are my options? My I-797 is still…

Hello, my I-94 is...

Hello, my I-94 is expired, what are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My I-797 is still valid, and my I-94 expired because my passport expired and I needed to renew it

8/3/2017
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Just to confirm, you are on an employer visa?

H1B

What you will need to do is either leave the country and re-enter with a new I-94 or check with your nearest CBP office to see if you can get an extended I-94. As of right now, you are accumulating illegal stay. I would suggest speaking to a local immigration attorney who might be able to go to the CBP office on your behalf.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
ok, this is helpful
I am close to Canada border and can go there.
I also have flight on 8/12 to Bulgaria but it will 184 day of overstay. Should I change the flight or better going by car to Canada before the 180 day?

You should not wait past the 180th day.

Can day hold me at the border if I go before the 180th day? or if they are not willing to extend my I-94 they will give me some notice or something?
I meant if I go out to Canada and coming back they don't allow me to enter, what are they going to give me, some notice or they will hold me directly there

There shouldn't be any issue if you have not accrued 180 days of unlawful presence.

what is recommendable, going to local CBP office or to Canadian border?

CBP office

Should I call them first if they will assist with this matter?
or like you said better to go with local immigration lawyer?
In how big trouble I am?
I read that some people go to jail for this?

It shouldn't be an issue, but you should be contacting a local immigration lawyer who can help you with this matter.

Can you recommend local immigration lawyer, I am in Rochester NY?

We cannot recommend specific lawyers from this website, but you should try searching on avvo.com.

ok, thank you I will try tomorrow to find someone.
But if I go to the border, can they hold me there?

It is possible that if you leave the country, and try to come back in, you could run into issues trying to get back into the country.

what are the issues to which I can run into? thank you

It is possible that you would not be permitted to reenter the US.

This is why you should hire a local immigration attorney who can review your case and make sure that you are protected.

Ok thank you

You are welcome!