Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Second opinion] helloJA: How can I help? jan 2012 i was

Customer Question
Second opinion] hello Lawyer's...

Second opinion] hello

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Jan 2012 i was deported from the states for overstaying my visa waiver (i'm british) because of the removal order ina 212 (a) and excess stay ina 212 (b) i have a 10 year ban. i'd like to return to the states as soon as possible...i have explore various routes..but don't know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you been deported from the United States before?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That i'm in reasonably good standing..i did have an R1 visa (in the US)

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Van, Retired Judge replied 6 months ago
Van
Van, Retired Judge

Hi, this is Van, I can discuss this with you if you like.

Give your 10 year ban, chances are that you will be denied via 214b of the immigrant and naturalization act, should you try and apply for a b1/b2 visa at the US Embassy in the UK or elsewhere. As you probably know, the UK is a visa waiver country and requires ESTA only and not a visa. However, you will be barred given the 2012 deportation. Your option now would be to apply for a visa waiver, which the consular officer would be able to do for you, should you present a valid argument and justification for why you overstayed before. It is not guaranteed that the consular officer would be willing to do this, as that is his subjective choice. Also, even if the waiver is ultimately issued, that often takes several months. Are there any extenuating circumstances as to why you were deported and why you want/need to return to the US?

hello, and thank you.
the circumstances of my deportation; married to an american (for several years) green card application was withdrawn in 2009 since it looked like we were not going to be approved. lived in Ecuador and returned..did not restart process and overstayed (mainly through lack of money, fear of failure and tardiness)
as to wanting to return..i'm in love with someone there..and want to be with him.

Your reason for returning is a valid one, assuming the consular officer you receive accepts it, which is totally up to the officer. Getting married may be your best option of obtaining a waiver. Unfortunately, none of these options are guaranteed. I wish you the best. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Hi, I'm just following up to see if you were satisfied with my response. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. If you were satisfied with my response, please rate my service. Have a great day.

thank you for your response.

You are most welcome, please don't forget to rate my service.

Van
Van
Van, Retired Judge