Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife is northern irish and has been the usa since 1964 on…

Customer Question
My wife is northern...

My wife is northern irish and has been the usa since 1964 on permanent residency visa's. it expires in 2023 and has to be renewed. she has developed severe dementia and i have deep concerns on immigration giving her a new permanent residence visa in 2023. should we look into making her a citizen now before the new harsh immigration laws affect her living here. would she be able to get citizenship with her dementia?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is the expiration date? Has a renewal or extension request been made?

It expires in 2023. we have not looked into extending yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: First and foremost, no new immigraiton laws have been enacted. Laws are only enacted by congress and it will likely be after a lot of debate. In other words, there is nothing impending. Moreover, she already has a green card, so she will not be affected by any changes in the law. They will not retroactively revoke her green card and having dementia is not a basis for revocation of her status.

Aside from all of that, I think it would be best for her to go ahead and apply for naturalization to US citizen. That way, she no longer has to apply for extensions of her permanent resident status in the future. She may as well just get it taken care of now, rather than worry.

There are accommodations in the naturalization process for people who are elderly or have medical conditions that make the traditional process too difficult. That information can be found on the N-400 application instructions.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer