Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My girlfriend is from Costa Rica. She still has 8 years on…

Customer Question
My girlfriend is from...

My girlfriend is from Costa Rica . She still has 8 years on tourist visa . We look to get married in next 2 years . How does immagration changes effect us.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Was any immigration paperwork filed with the government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She still in Costa Rica

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your immigration law question today.

What is your own immigration status in the US, are you on a visa or a US citizen ?

Have you filed any application for your girlfriend with immigration ?

Has she ever been denied a visa to the US ?

Thanks

Attorney Bill

I'm U S citizen
She was denied frist time. A year later she was better financially she tried again . Got 10 visas for her and 2 sons
10 year visas
Nothing has been filed

Then you have two options available to you.

You can apply for her a K1 fiance visa so that she can come to the US and you can get married in the US within 90 days of her entry by filing the following:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Alternatively , you can get married in Costa Rica and file a family based petition.

i-130 application.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Denial of a visa can be for a number of reasons.

It is important that she applies for the correct visa.

So if the intention is to get married she needs the fiance visa not the tourist B2 visa.

We are here to help

Please follow up when needed.

In return remember to rate positively.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4****, or better

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today

Best

Attorney Bill

I do not want to get married in Costa Rica because a woman name does not legally change at marriage.

You can then file the fiance visa.

This would allow you marry in the US.

Please follow up when needed.

In return remember to rate positively.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today

Best

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer