How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am living in Puerto Vallarta for 14 moths. My Residency

Customer Question

I am living in Puerto Vallarta for 14 moths. My Residency Temporal expired 02/06/2017. I was in an accident and spouse and a Mexican friend went to immigration to ask what could be done as I was in the hospital having surgery to repair 3 broken bones in my left foot. Two staff members told them there was a 60 day grace period; do not worry. I am now trying to get things straightened out and they are demanding that i have the last 6 months of my American bank statements translated to Spanish so they can confirm my monthly deposits match the benefits stated in my Social Security proof of benefits Letter; not a cheap thing to have done. It makes no sense as numbers are the same in English and Spanish, you can see clearly it says Social Security on the deposit, and the amount the exact same as in the letter; but they will not budge; I do not know why common sense is not enough (although I suspect a wall that an idiot named Trump is trying to build may be playing a part). None of this was required at the Mexican Embassy in Orlando, in fact, they saw the Social Security letter, in English, and told me they did not need bank statements that the letter was the proof of the required income.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I paid for a three year renewal, and now they say I do not qualify for renewal; so they told me to request a refund and start the application process over. I moved to a different house in June so an address change was reported and recorded
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am just questioning the need to translate a bank statement.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?