Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am living in Puerto Vallarta for 14 moths. My Residency…

Customer Question
I am living in...

I am living in Puerto Vallarta for 14 moths. My Residency Temporal expired 02/06/2017. I was in an accident and spouse and a Mexican friend went to immigration to ask what could be done as I was in the hospital having surgery to repair 3 broken bones in my left foot. Two staff members told them there was a 60 day grace period; do not worry. I am now trying to get things straightened out and they are demanding that i have the last 6 months of my American bank statements translated to Spanish so they can confirm my monthly deposits match the benefits stated in my Social Security proof of benefits Letter; not a cheap thing to have done. It makes no sense as numbers are the same in English and Spanish, you can see clearly it says Social Security on the deposit, and the amount the exact same as in the letter; but they will not budge; I do not know why common sense is not enough (although I suspect a wall that an idiot named Trump is trying to build may be playing a part). None of this was required at the Mexican Embassy in Orlando, in fact, they saw the Social Security letter, in English, and told me they did not need bank statements that the letter was the proof of the required income.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I paid for a three year renewal, and now they say I do not qualify for renewal; so they told me to request a refund and start the application process over. I moved to a different house in June so an address change was reported and recorded

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am just questioning the need to translate a bank statement.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/1/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?