Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

What can an airport immigration officer see? I have a petty…

Customer Question
What can an airport immigration...
What can an airport immigration officer see? I have a petty theft charge pending, will he be able to see it when I reenter the US?My criminal lawyer asked me to plead no contest before I could get a diversion program. Will the border patrol see this when he checks my passport?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/1/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes, the airport CBP officer can usually see any criminal cases that you have pending. You should be prepared to answer questions about it.

The CBP will not usually see that you have pled to no contest, just that the case is open.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" now and RATE me by choosing from the STARS. Don't worry, the question will NOT close and will NOT be finished. It stays OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge if you have any.

Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important. This is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time here.

Again, if you just have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I am the one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in the beginning of your new question.

What other information can the CBP see?My criminal lawyer told me to plead no contest to two petty theft charges, so I may not be able to reenter the US. What should I do? Should I still try to enter the US?
My case is in LA, a sanctuary city. Does this mean the city police may not report cases to immigration?I didn't receive any notification from immigration or get my status revoked before I left the country, and I'm able to get a new I-20. Will I be ok with reentry?

If you have not been convicted yet, then you do not have the petty theft charges yet and you should be ok to return. Once you have the two convictions, it could be an issue.

If you can avoid travel, it's better. You should also try to get the cases dismissed, at least one charge.

my lawyer told me to plead no contest so that i could get the community service program. is a no contest plea considered a conviction?
does this count as "not convicted"?

Yes a no contest can be considered a conviction if the judge finds you guilty.

What if the judge does not find me guilty after i plead no contest? he gave me a diversion program and my lawyer told me the case would e dismissed after I complete the program.

If it is dismissed, that is different. That would be good. But you should try not to travel until that happens.

I hope I have answered your questions and follow up and that you can kindly issue a good rating.

Thanks!

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney