Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Do if i am a us citizen dating a canadian and wanted to

Customer Question
Hi do if i...

Hi do if i am a us citizen dating a canadian and wanted to spend a few month living in canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I have a job and address in the us and am self employed are there any tax implications of doing so and can i just cross the border

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We do eventually plan on getting married in the US

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/1/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 11 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

As far as US immigration is concerned, there is no problem with you spending several months in Canada. You can stay out of the US as long as you like. There is no limit. However, it is up to Canada how long you are allowed to stay there as a visitor.

You would still have to pay taxes in the US since you are a US citizen and earning money in the US. If you begin earning a salary outside the US then speak to a tax advisor so he/she can specify how much you would have to pay.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you! Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" now and RATE me by choosing from the STARS. Don't worry, the question will NOT close and will NOT be finished. It stays OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge if you have any.Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important. This is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time here. Again, if you just have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :) If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I am the one that answers it