Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I adopted my daughter from Kazakhstan in Nov of 2000. I did…

Customer Question
I adopted my daughter...

I adopted my daughter from Kazakhstan in Nov of 2000. I did not realize the green card expires and never renewed it. I went for an appt with immigration and her biometrics were taken for a new card but they tell me it could take a year to get it. Since she was adopted by a US citizen (myself), is there another way to prove her citizenship that won't take so long? She is 17 and wants to get her license.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I have a pending application for a new green card that was filed 6/2/17 for my daughter

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so....

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Did you send in her current green card or just a copy?

Since I have not heard from you, I will go ahead and answer the question assuming that she has a copy of her expired card.

Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: She can make an InfoPass appointment seeking to get an I-551 stamp in her passport, which is temporary evidence of her resident status.

She can make this appointment here: https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

She should take with her the following items:

- a valid passport;

- the InfoPass appointment notice;

- the I-90 receipt notice;

- evidence of her residence within the jurisdiction of the USCIS office;

- a copy of expired/lost green card (if available);

- a copy of her expired driver's license (if she has one)

- a copy of the biometrics notice, preferably with the date stamp showing those have been done.

This I-551 stamp, if issued, is valid proof of her resident status and can be used exactly the same way as her green card is used.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer