Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My father has a greencard/citizen and has it since I was I,

Customer Question
My father has a greencard/citizen...
My father has a greencard/citizen and has it since I was I young, what law applies to me as he came to USA when I was 6 months old.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

It sounds like you may qualify for DACA -- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

This area of immigration law allows for legal immigrant status for persons who entered into the US as children.

Here's a list of the eligibility criteria:

• are under 31 years of age as of June 15, 2012;
  • came to the U.S. while under the age of 16;
  • have continuously resided in the U.S. from June 15, 2007 to the present. (For purposes of calculating this five year period, brief and innocent absences from the United States for humanitarian reasons will not be included);
  • entered the U.S. without inspection or fell out of lawful visa status before June 15, 2012;
  • were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making the request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  • are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a GED, or have been honorably discharged from the Coast Guard or armed forces;
  • have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor, or more than three misdemeanors of any kind; and
  • do not pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Applicants will have to provide documentary evidence of the above criteria. In addition, every applicant must complete and pass a biographic and biometric background check.

If you do qualify under the above list of requirements, then these are the forms you need to fill out and submit to USCIS to apply under the DACA provisions:

• Form I-821D Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals;
  • Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization Document;
  • Form I-765 WS –EAD economic need supplement form
  • Additionally applicants will need to submit documentary evidence that they meet all of the criteria to qualify for deferred action (age; entry date; continuous presence; educational or military documentation; etc.)

I hope that helps!

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for this question as well as the others, as each question is rated individually. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer