Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How do I marry a non-citizen in the U.S.?

Customer Question
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Thank you.
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response!

In order to marry a non-citizen in the US, you would follow the same protocol as you would if marrying a US citizen.

That is, you would need to go into your local courthouse and fill out an application for marriage, you would each need to present some sort of identification, and have the application signed by a witness as well.

Once that is completed, you are required to send it back in via mail and the actual marriage license will then be mailed out to you to the address you provided on the marriage license application.

Even though you are marrying a non-citizen, the process is the same. Just be sure to take some sort of identification in with you, whether that is a passport from their home country or any other sort of government issued ID card.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Once we are married what will be the next step in filing for my spouse?
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Once you're married, you'll then need to file USCIS Form I-130 for your spouse.

Here's a list of the additional documents you'll need to file as well:

• Form I-130 (signed with proper fee), with all required documentation, including:
    • Two completed and signed G-325A forms (one for you and one for your spouse)
    • A copy of your civil marriage certificate
    • A copy of all divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that demonstrate that all previous marriages entered into by you and/or your spouse were terminated
    • Passport style photos of you and your spouse (see Form I-130 instructions for photo requirements)
    • Evidence of all legal name changes for you and/or your spouse (may include marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court judgment of name change, adoption decrees, etc.)
  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you must demonstrate your status with:
    • A copy of your valid U.S. passport OR
    • A copy of your U.S. birth certificate OR
    • A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR
    • A copy of your naturalization certificate OR
    • A copy of your certificate of citizenship

You can find all this information here at the USCIS website:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

Reminder: please take a moment at this time to leave a positive rating of 3 stars or more, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!