Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My daughter is filing for my card she is 24, I also have an…

Customer Question
Hello, my daughter is filing...
Hello, my daughter is filing for my green card she is 24, I also have an 18 year old and I am recently married. What forms do I need and how long will it take
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

If your daughter is petitioning for your green card, she will need to fill out and submit USCIS Form I-130.

If she is also filing a petition to sponsor your other daughter, she will need to fill out and submit a separate Form I-130.

There needs to be 2 separate petitions filed for you, as you both fall under separate "preference categories".

A petition for you as her parent, should be granted within a few years; however a petition for her sister as a sibling would take much longer with current processing times ranging between 10-12 years.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Both of my children are US citizen I am the only one she will need to file for. Can she do it while I am here? Also how do I get working papers?

Yes, she can file the petition while you are here.

Once the green card is approved you will be authorized to work as well. However, if you'd specifically like to request work authorization that is done through filing USCIS Form I-797.

Gentle reminder: please take a moment to leave a positive rating of 3 stars or more for my assistance with your question. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

My daughter was told she needed to fill out the following forms:
I-130
I-495
I-765
G-325A
I-864
and that she needs to supply 3 years worth of tax returns. Is this correct?

Yes, those are all forms she will eventually need to file.

Initially she needs to file the I-130 and submit it along with the following:

• A copy of her birth certificate showing her name and the names of both parents
  • A copy of her Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or U.S. passport if she was not born in the United States
  • A copy of her parents’ civil marriage certificate

She will then need to submit the other forms afterwards.

You can find this information here:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/parents/bringing-parents-live-united-states-permanent-residents

Please take a moment at this time to leave a positive rating of 3 stars or more for ALL questions answered. The site works on a good faith basis that in exchange for my assistance, you leave a positive rating of 3 stars or more. Thanks!

Good Morning My name and Tasha-ree Lee and I will be filing the documents form my mother, just so I am clear about a few things, I fill out form I-130 first even though my mom is the USA. and then after I submit form i-130 the other forms will be submitted later? Or do I submit everything at the sametime?

Good morning!

If your mom is already present in the US, then you can go ahead and file all of the forms now.

Form I-130 -- the petition for her as your immediate relative

Form I-485 -- adjustment of status

Form I-864 -- affidavit of support

Form I-797 -- works authorization (if she would like to start working right away)

Form I-131 -- travel document (only if she needs to travel immediately before GC is received)

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer