Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm getting a NOL from my government as I'm applying for a…

Customer Question
I'm getting a NOL...

I'm getting a NOL from my government as I'm applying for a j-1 waiver and I wanted to ask if you have recommendations?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

My J-1 was sponsored by my home government no not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sure: I work at Google and I have been offered a Job in NYC which is why I'm applying

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
E.g should I focus on the employment in my statement of reason, add support documents like my offer letter from Google etc?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wanted to add: I have lived 6 months in Denmark (home country), but also lived 2 years in the UK since getting back from the US when I was studying under the J-1. Do you think I should mention in this in my J-1 waiver application?
7/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

QUESTION: should I focus on the employment in my statement of reason, add support documents like my offer letter from Google etc?

ANSWER: That is not required. The letter just needs to state what you did on your J1, and the reason you want the waiver. IF that means you had a research J1, and you want to continue the research with the employer, state so. If it is because you want more experience to advance your career say so, and maybe explain how you would be doing that in your new job. But it does not have to be lengthy or overly complicated.

QUESTION: I have lived 6 months in Denmark (home country), but also lived 2 years in the UK since getting back from the US when I was studying under the J-1. Do you think I should mention in this in my J-1 waiver application?

ANSWER: There is no reason to. The 2 years starts accruing once you've finished your J1 and you've left the US. Whatever happened prior to the end of your J1 program does not matter and is not relevant.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not live in the UK prior to my J-1 stay, I lived 6 months in Denmark and 2 years in the UK AFTER I came back from the US. Also, I asked if you had any general recommendations for a no objection waiver, which you did not reply to.

My apologies for that. First, I misunderstood something you wrote. Also, I actually thought I gave you my recommendations as part of my answers to those specific questions. To clarify, the No Objection Letter is the most basic and generic basis for a waiver. So they are also simplistic in their format and content. Be honest about why you seek the waiver (more research, further your career, gain experience, what have you) and how you think the employment might help you to reach those goals. These are not complicated letters or requests.

I hope that better clarifies things for you. If not, I'm here to answer more specific questions about this, if need be. Kindly remember that in order for me to get credit for doing my job, you have to go to the top of this page and click on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!​

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem. So do you think there's a good chance of getting a waiver once I have my no objection letter? I know it's not an straightforward answer, but just based on your experience.And do you think I should mention living in the UK or is there no reason do so?

Obviously, since I do not make the decisions, I cannot predict any sort of outcome. But in general, if the home country does not object, and you do not have any issues in your immigration background, the waiver is granted. Of course, the political situation in the US is a little complicated at the moment, so that might make for additional challenges. But based on what you've told me, I don't see why there would be a problem. Ultimately, however, the decisions are discretionary, so there are no guarantees.

If you don't have any additional questions at this time, please do not forget to give me credit for helping you today. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think I should mention living in the UK or is there no reason do so?

There is no reason to do so. It neither helps nor hurts your chances.

I hope that answers your questions. Your credit is very much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you James,Last question: On my DS-2019 it states that I am subject to a 2 year home residency because of Government financing, but my SEVIS states no government funding. Do you know if that discrepancy is common and what should I do in this situation, e.g. which form should I trust be final in the eyes of the state department?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To provide some context I'm applying for a J-1 Waiver, and one of the questions from the State Department is: Did any of your exchange visitor program(s) include U.S. Government funds, funds from your own government or funds from an international organization?And frankly I'm not sure if I should answer yes or no to this question as the SEVIS and DS-2019 states different things. My program was a exchange program, so no money exchanged hands. Please see attached screenshot from my DS-2019.Essentially I need to know if I should say yes or no to the question "Did any of your exchange visitor program(s) include U.S. Government funds, funds from your own government or funds from an international organization?" - what do you think?

Sorry for the delay. I just got back online. I am slightly concerned that I will not be getting credit for helping you. Please do not forget to dot hat. Otherwise, it's like I'm working for nothing, which I am sure you'd agree would not be ideal for you. Thanks.

You should know how you were funded. Did you seek or receive funds from either government as part of your J-1 program? Who is the program sponsor that gave you the $20,000?

And have you inquired with your responsible program officer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No of course I will give credit :)According to the university (Program Sponsor) they paid and according to the SEVIS there was no government funding.So I was thinking of applying for an advisory opinion and clarify that I should not be subject to the 2 year home residency requirement, what do you think?
I don't know what you mean by "they paid." But the program sponsor should know if you received any government funding. And SEVIS may not reflect the accurate information about that.Yes, that's exactly what I was going to recommend. If you have any concerns and don't know for sure, an advisory opinion is a good idea.I hope that helps. Thanks again for considering a positive rating.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!