Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a naturalization certificate as I was naturalized as…

Customer Question
Hi I have a naturalization...
Hi I have a naturalization certificate as I was naturalized as a child after moving here with my mother from Greece. Unfortunately throughout the years I have lost the lock box that contained my passport social security card and naturalization papers. This has not really been an issue until recently when I need to renew my drivers license. I am unable to do so without either a passport or a copy of my naturalization certificate. I have a Social Security number and I pay taxes however my Social security card cannot be replaced without those documents as well. I submitted the form with all the required documents and payment to get a copy of my naturalization certificate from USCIS. They recently sent me a letter after waiting nearly 6 months for an answer saying that they need additional forms from me even though I provided them exactly what they requested. They are requesting that I send them a copy of my passport, which I do not have an cannot get without a copy of the certificate, a visa from a different country which I do not have an cannot get, or a identification card with my picture and fingerprint on it which again I cannot get it without either passport or naturalization certificate. I have spent lots of money and time to get these documents and am running out of time as my current ID will expire next year which I understand at that point I will be unable to attain anything. Please help I do not know what to do. I feel like they have made it impossible for me even though I'm already a US citizen and have been so for nearly 35 years.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you!

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to do an Affidavit to explain why you cannot provide the additional information being requested. Then send the Affidavit in lieu of the documents being requested. Your Affidavit would contain the same information that you listed on your post here, but in an Affidavit format. Click here for sample Affidavit.

Best wishes,

Thank you it did not describe that option to me on the paperwork and says I have to file everything before October so I got very nervous. Do you know if I can go for a biometrics appointment at the immigration office? It says there that they will take a picture and fingerprint me and get biographical information however I am not sure if they would need any of the above documents as proof or if just my ID would suffice. It also says they will do a background check. In my late 20s I got in with a few wrong people and ended up getting a couple felonies. Would that prevent me from being able to attain a copy of my certificate because technically I am a felon even though I have paid all my fines and served my time. I have not been any trouble with the law for many years. Thank you

Thank you it did not describe that option to me on the paperwork and says I have to file everything before October so I got very nervous.

Response 1:Well, that's why you are on this site to get the information that you need.

Do you know if I can go for a biometrics appointment at the immigration office?

Response 2: Generally, you have to have appointment for biometrics services. There are special centers that perform the services. You cannot just show up for biometrics. You need to have paperwork from USCIS in order to go to a biometrics center. Click here for more information.

It says there that they will take a picture and fingerprint me and get biographical information however I am not sure if they would need any of the above documents as proof or if just my ID would suffice.

Response 3: See my previous responses.

It also says they will do a background check. In my late 20s I got in with a few wrong people and ended up getting a couple felonies. Would that prevent me from being able to attain a copy of my certificate because technically I am a felon even though I have paid all my fines and served my time. I have not been any trouble with the law for many years. Thank you

Response 4: Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question because I do not know what would be revealed in your background check and if that would be considered a threat to national security.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law