Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a citizen of Haiti on Temporary Protected Status(TPS).

Customer Question
I am a citizen...

I am a citizen of Haiti on Temporary Protected Status(TPS). it is due to expire on January 22. My aunt is a U.S citizen and has filed for my mother(her sister) and my mom's children. The U.S embassy has already approved it. It is currently being processed in Haiti. My family was able to stay legally in the U.S under TPS. However it is about to end. I would like to know what are my options. It would be inconvenient to have to leave the country and then have to come back when the papers my aunt filed for us is finalized. I am aware that it takes a long time when siblings file for each other.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is the expiration date? Has a renewal or extension request been made?

January 22, 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all. I would just like to know my options. thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
i added the wrong year. January 22, 2018
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/29/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.Please give me some time to consider your question.
I'm a little confused. What is the priority date for the case? You say it's being processed in Haiti, indicating the priority date is current and that you are close to immigrating.