Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

My license was up for renewal, and I took my card along for

Customer Question

my license was up for renewal, and I took my green card along for proof of permanent residency. My application for renewal was processed. three weeks after I visited the DMV, I realized my green card is missing. I was sure the DMV would have notified me that they had it, as my address and phone number are on file, and my license is tied with my application. I had to re-apply for a green card and cancel a trip out of the country because of my lost green card. Five months later, the DMV sends me a note in the mail stating they have my green card. I am upset they didn't notify me earlier. I want to file a complaint. Am I justified in doing this?
JA: Do you have a photocopy or scan of both sides of the green card?
Customer: i have picked up my green card from the DMV, so i have the card itself
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer?
Customer: no i have not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, i want to find out what options i have here
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Yes you are completely justified in wanting to file a complaint.

Five months is a VERY long time to wait to notify you of the fact that the DMV was in possession of your GC ..not to mention the additional issues it caused of having to cancel a trip and apply for a replacement card.

So again, yes you are completely justified in wanting to file a complaint.

Unfortunately from a legal perspective, there is not really any civil or criminal action you can take against the DMV or its employees because there was not any law broken.

That being said, you can still file an internal complaint with the DMV.

A supervisor would then take a look into the situation, see who the employee/employees were that were involved in initially finding the GC and notifying you, and then hopefully take some sort of measures to reprimand the employees involved.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!