Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I recently gave birth in the US and my doctor suggested I

Customer Question
Hello. I recently gave birth...
Hello. I recently gave birth in the US and my doctor suggested I apply for Medicaid, which I did and got accepted for. I paid the doctor's fees out of pocket. Later I found out that this could pose an issue at the time of visa reneeal. So I called the hospital and offered to reimburse through a payment plan which they accepted. So my question is, if I reimburse the hospital and they reimburse Medicaid and the hospital provides a letter stating that no public use of funds have been used to pay the hospital and that the funds were paid for out of pocket, will this still pose a problem during visa renewal?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I don't have anything pending, but I will be renewing my visa in 3 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I gave birth a year ago also in the US and paid all funds out of pocket
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/28/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
What type of visa is it for?
It's a B1/B2 visa
Ok. Now you said you applied for Medicaid but paid out of pocket. Was that after or before you used the Medicaid benefits? Or did you just apply but then not use them?
Medicaid has already paid for the hospital bill. However, I offered to pay the hospital out of pocket through a payment plan and they would reimburse Medicaid. So I had already used the Medicaid benefits
Will you have evidence if this?
the hospital will issue a letter saying I paid the amount in full.
Do I need to ask for anything else?

Sorry for the delay. I had a doctor's appointment and then I had some work to attend to before lunch time.

Kindly remember that in order for me to get credit for doing my job, you have to go to the top of this page and click on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: I think you should get as much documentation as you can to show that Medicaid will be paid back by you, via the hospital that you are paying. So having acknowledgment from the hospital of this agreement, and some evidence showing Medicaid is in the process of being paid back, would be helpful.

The goal is to provide documentation that Medicaid is being paid back. In the end, there is nothing much you can do at this point since you already drew the benefits and Medicaid paid for the care. So the best you can do is to make Medicaid whole again.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer