Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My spouse is a US navy worker any she has been in the United

Customer Question

My spouse is a US navy worker any she has been in the United States for eleven years. I can say she is trying to abuse me physically. She is trying to keep my away from her. I need help. We are legally married.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

If your wife is allegedly abusing you, why would you be bothered if she is trying to stay away from you? If you are being abused and you take her to Court, the Court would order her to stay away from you. So, I'm not sure why you would be bothered by her trying to stay away from you. Kindly clarify.

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is in the US while I'm in Cameroon. So how can I can take her to the court. We are legally married and she is now a U.S citizen and works with the navy. Can I file a self petition

I am sorry, but I still do not understand your post.

What are you trying to do?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK here comes my situation. I and my wife are cameroonian and we got married then she later migrate to the U.S. Two weeks after our wedding. Her father was a was a US citizen before and later applied for her to come over. I and her concluded getting married before she travel as lovely couple so that we might not be tempted to get married to another person. But eleven years today since she travel to the US until even joining the navy, she hasn't been honest to me. Refusing to petition for me with explanation that, she never told the navy officers that she was married before and she is now afraid to do so because she might go to jail. I'm this case I can say I'm physically abuse and what should I do since she does not have in mind to file for me. I can not get married to another woman without getting divorced to her. I'm confused.

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, you cannot force her to petition for you.

Also, under the circumstances you cannot file the petition on your own to join a person in the United States who you claim has physically abused you. Furthermore, she cannot be forced to petition for you and live with you.

Your only recourse here would be to use the process in your country to dissolve this marriage and move on with your life.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you are living abroad at the time of filing the self-petition, you may file Form I-360 if:• the abuser is an employee of the U.S. government,• the abuser is a member of the uniformed services, or• if you were subjected to battery or extreme cruelty in the United States.Filing instructions and forms are available on our website at www.uscis.gov.I got this information from the uscis. my spouse is now a uniformed services or government worker. meaning I can still file in a self petition because my spouse is one of those mentioned above. take a look at it.

Thank you for the information. However, I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks very much for the feedback. I believe to having a positive attitude.