Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My husband and I file taxes jointly. I have not seen the tax

Customer Question

Hi, my husband and I file taxes jointly. I have not seen the tax sheet. I am unemployed. He has a company thru which he consults. He told me once that he added me in the payroll and paid but not to any of my accounts.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Now, he says I should fill as unemployed in n400
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: we r in the process of filing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know if my tax status is eunemployed or or part time in his comp. he is not telling clearly. but I am unemployed and have not received any money in my bank account. regardless of what he did in tax, can I say I am unemployed ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

I would suggest you try to go online at http://www.ssa.gov and set up an account.

That is the official Social Security website. When you set up an account under your SSN you can check to see if any wages have been reported for you for every year since you have had an SSN.

You could also find your closest Social Security Office and go there and check on whether any income shows up for you since you have been in the US and had your SSN.

If you are not able to do any of this then I would suggest that you do not file the N-400 until you verify the tax returns and any income claimed to be yourse.

If you do not verify your income you could be held to be misrepresenting your information on the N-400 and get into trouble.

Experts are only paid for their time providing you a low cost alternative to getting immigration law information if you RATE their answer. Everyone likes to think that their time and knowledge has value, I am sure you expert to be paid at work for your time and knowledge. It is no different for an expert. No rating, no pay. May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.
Judith