Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I came here on f1 but I'm out of status more than a year.

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I came here on f1 but I'm out of status more than a year. Can I apply for asylum now and how?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't talk on phone right now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?

Yes I am here. If you would not like to speak on the phone I can answer your question within this chat window. I am finishing up with another customer but I will be with you shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

If you last entered the US more than one year ago, you can still submit the I-589 form for asylum but your application will be considered a Withhold of Removal case rather than asylum case which carries a higher burden of proof and is harder and will not get you a green card if you win. The only way you can still apply for actual asylum is if you can prove there were extenuating circumstances as to why you did not file within entering the US. You can try to explain on form I-589 if you have a reason and the asylum officer will decide to accept it or not.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly now click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. Do not worry, the question will NOT actually finish and we will NOT be done even after you click and rate me. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. Of course, 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from what you paid the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

Again, if you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post.

Hello? Did you get my answer.?