Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a valid M1visa but my i_20 expired I spoke with the

Customer Question
school they said I...
I have a valid M1visa but my i_20 expired I spoke with the school they said I have to leave the country and renter again . Is that true
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is he gonna respond immediately
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Did it just expire? If so, why didn't you leave when it expired? If it was terminated, why was it terminated?

No , it is expiring August 9th

Because your program is done? How long have you been on M-1 status?

No my program is not done yet but the I_20 is expiring on August 9 and I need to do an extension to remain in the country legally. About 1 year . The period of my visa is 2 years
The visa is expired August 2018

If your program has not ended, then why is your I-20 ending? Did you speak to your DSO about this?

Because I got delayed . I spoke to the DSO , said we will request you extension and issue a new I_20 but you have to leave the country then re enter

What was the reason you were delayed?

Weather.
I'm doing flight training

The problem I see is that the M-1 is very particular about extensions. The only extensions I see possible is for job training and you get one month for every 4 months of study when your program ends. The DSO is in the best position to determine if you have to leave or not to get a new I-20. Is there some reason why you are hesitant to travel to get the new I-20?

I am worried about travel because the I-20 will be in process when I'm entering the states.

What country are you from that you are worried about travel?

You did not ask my question!!!!
Answer
Can you please answer my question

Do you go to a doctor and tell them that something hurts and expect the doctor not to ask questions about the situation to give you the right answer?

If I ask you a question, it's because I need to know to try to help you. Do you want me to help you or not?

Then why are you afraid to travel? What country are you from?

Saudi Arabia
The DSO asked me to travel to any country

Ok. I was worried that it was a banned country. Still, you will need to speak to your DSO abut your concerns. This is the official link:

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2015/11/how-does-an-m-1-student-file-for-an-extension

If you have a valid reason for not traveling, explain this to the DSO but you MUST file the extension before there are less than 15 days from the 9th of August. If you file with less than 15 days from the 9th, it will be too late. So speak to your DSO immediately to get them to approve a new I-20 and file an I-539 to extend your stay without leaving. It is possible, but under very strict circumstances.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.