Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Whether i can stay here legally if i am in the process of

Customer Question
for Guillermo:whether i can stay...
for Guillermo:whether i can stay here legally
if i am in the process of divorce, even if the green card was expired?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/23/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

You mean when you file the I-751 waiver?

Yes, when you file the I-751 waiver, your green card is extended for an additional 12 months to allow processing.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

if the case can not be stopped in 12 months ,what shall I do? And the 12 months means from the form was filed or the time that green card expired?

You make an appointment with USCIS by doing an Infopass appointment and ask them to place a stamp in your passport that is evidence of extension for 12 more months.

if the divorce case can not be stopped in 12 months ,what shall I do?

You just continue to ask for extensions. Don't worry too much about that. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

I can ask for extensions after 12 months?

Yes. Please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you.

OK,icant forget that! let me make it clear: ican file i-751 anytime if iget into divorce , and USCIS can extense my time for staying here legally upto 12 months. the time is from what i apply or from the green card expire? and after 12 months, if my divorce case doesnt end 。I can file another I -751 to apply another 12months? Until my divorce case was over?

No. You file the I-751 waiver once, prove that your marriage was real but just fell apart, they will process it in around 8 months, sometimes more, you extend your green card for 12 months, IF for some reason they haven't finished processing OR you don't have the divorce yet, you let them know and ask for another extension for 12 more months while the I-751 waiver stays pending. The idea is to keep the waiver pending until you have the divorce finalized.

it is mean, the first ishould file enough information to proof my marriage is true and uscis also believe that my marriage is ture?

Yes, that is correct.

if they donot believe that what is the result?

Eventually deportation unless you can get Residency another way or win Asylum or some similar protection.

65292;the list what you give me , ifihave all of them, it is enough or not?

The more evidence you have, the better it is. It is all the amount of and the strength of your evidence.

65353;see.

Great. Please do not forget the positive rating. Thank you!

65353;can't download app for some reason . If I can I just rate. How about the divorce case was over? I mean at that time what is the situation of my green card? And what I need to do next step?

We are going around in circles. When the divorce is over you let USCIS know and they can complete the processing of your green card.

How long do they need ?

We already discussed this. Why do you keep asking the same questions over again?

I think I couldn't understand it completely. I need time .sorry

I cannot tell you how long they will keep the I-751 waiver case open for you. At least it will take 8 months if not more to process it. You need to try to get the divorce done by then. You can probably ask for an extension, but they won't keep the case open forever. So get the divorce done as quickly as you can.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.