Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a sister who is a US citizen. I am planning to enter

Customer Question
Hi. I have a sister...
Hi. I have a sister who is a US citizen. I am planning to enter the US using my tourist visa. I have been to the US a couple of times but this time, my sister would like to petition me while I am in the US. Will I be able to work and live while the my papers are under process? Will this way the fastest for me to work and live there?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: None. I only have a tourist visa.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am from the Philippines but have been residing and working in Qatar for the past 14 years.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
7/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Yes your sister would be able to begin the application process for you while you are here on your tourist visa.

However, the current waiting time for processing/approval of sibling sponsored green cards is between 10-12 years.

So unfortunately it is quite a lengthy wait time.

There are other faster options which are a bit more immediate, but those involve employment sponsors or bona fide marriage to a US citizen.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer