Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am about to get a fligt to Costa Rica from San Francisco

Customer Question
CA and just realize that...
I am about to get a fligt to Costa Rica from San Francisco CA and just realize that my green card is expired. Can I get in the plane? or the airline company can stop me?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
no answer?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

One can travel with an expired green card but they must have an I-90 on file - please see:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/75/kw/travel%20with%20expired%20green%20card/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5OTk0MDIxMi9zaWQvKjI1dTZ1bm4%3D

Here is that form:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

The I-90 will be required prior to re-entry.

An expired passport with an I-551 stamp is also a possibility;

please see:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

That can be obtained with an INFO PASS appointment at the local USCIS office;

as for the airline you would need to verify their policy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Good day. Just checking in to see how the above worked out. You can always reach out to me hear on Just Answer and I will do my best to get the requested information for you. Thank you!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer