How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to get a fligt to Costa Rica from San Francisco

Customer Question

I am about to get a fligt to Costa Rica from San Francisco CA and just realize that my green card is expired. Can I get in the plane? or the airline company can stop me?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no answer?
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 9 days ago.

One can travel with an expired green card but they must have an I-90 on file - please see:

Here is that form:

The I-90 will be required prior to re-entry.

An expired passport with an I-551 stamp is also a possibility;

please see:

That can be obtained with an INFO PASS appointment at the local USCIS office;

as for the airline you would need to verify their policy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 4 days ago.

Good day. Just checking in to see how the above worked out. You can always reach out to me hear on Just Answer and I will do my best to get the requested information for you. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions