Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Second opinion] I'm an immigrant, been married for 5 years

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi, I'm an immigrant, been married for 5 years but haven't been able to apply for my green card due to my husband not making enough and I havent been able to find a joint sponsor. I just now got a call about him being arrested about a misdemeanor and they won't tell me what happened, I'm supposed to show up to court tomorrow (i suppose to get him out) is it dangerous for me to go there considering I've overstayed my visa and could that affect my green card application in the future?JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?Customer: No, I never applied because I never found a joint sponsor, I overstayed my visa but been married for 5 yearsJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: not yetJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: nothing else
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Questions:

I'm supposed to show up to court tomorrow (i suppose to get him out) is it dangerous for me to go there considering I've overstayed my visa

Response 1: Yes. It would be prudent for you to contact an Attorney (a criminal defense Attorney) to help your husband. Under the current environment, it is not safe for you to be at the Courthouse.

and could that affect my green card application in the future?

Response 2: Yes, it could, unfortunately. However, that usually means more fees for you to pay during your green card application.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,