How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know if my mom can file a petition for me while

Customer Question

Hi, I wanted to know if my mom can file a petition for me while I still have a student visa here in USA. And during the processing period, do I need to leave the country and wait until it's approved? If I don't need to leave the country, Am I allowed to work?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I have 5 years student visa, but I will stop studying due to monetary problem. The school told me that the immigration will cut my visa once I leave the school. Is it possible to y mom to apply fro a petition before my student visa ends?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think, just about my status. I'm worried of my status after my student visa expires.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your mom can file a petition for you and she should do so if she is here on a green card or is a citizen and once she files for that change of status you can remain in the country until they decide on your mom's petition for you. You also need to remain in the country, if you leave you could not return until the petition is decided.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Immigration Law Questions