How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3941
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to sponsor my son to live with me in the US. My

Customer Question

I would like to sponsor my son to live with me in the US. My son is 17 yrs old and will be turning 21 yrs old in another 19 months. He is the biological son of my girlfriends previous relationship. I am not related to my son biologically, I have not adopted him legally, and my name is ***** ***** on his birth certificate ( birth certificate lists "unknown" for father). I have been providing financial support for both him and his mother for the last 17 years. I have retained all money transactions for inspection and verification. My question is, can I sponsor my son to live in with me in the US, even if I am not the biological father, not listed as father on birth certificate, and not having legally adopted? Thank you for your time in response.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Negative
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can think of nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Are you a US citizen?

Where does your son and girlfriend live?

Does your girlfriend have legal status in the US?

Related Immigration Law Questions