Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I would like to sponsor my son to live with me in the US. My

Customer Question

I would like to sponsor my son to live with me in the US. My son is 17 yrs old and will be turning 21 yrs old in another 19 months. He is the biological son of my girlfriends previous relationship. I am not related to my son biologically, I have not adopted him legally, and my name is ***** ***** on his birth certificate ( birth certificate lists "unknown" for father). I have been providing financial support for both him and his mother for the last 17 years. I have retained all money transactions for inspection and verification. My question is, can I sponsor my son to live in with me in the US, even if I am not the biological father, not listed as father on birth certificate, and not having legally adopted? Thank you for your time in response.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Negative
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can think of nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Are you a US citizen?

Where does your son and girlfriend live?

Does your girlfriend have legal status in the US?