How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108640
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an adoptee of U.S Citizens. I am 18 years old and

Customer Question

I am an adoptee of U.S Citizens. I am 18 years old and seeking for Citizenship prove. I came to the U.S with a tourist visa. My parents seem to fail to finish my adoption process until the very end but the court does finalize my adoption status. I am wondering which form should I fill to get my prove of citizenship.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I am not sure about my status. I am sure that the court did finalize the adoption process and I am officially the daughter of my adoptive parents.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes. I consult with some lawyer before I was turning 18 years old. They told me that I can file for a birth certificate as soon as I turned 18 years old. My parents don't file anything to obtain a birth certificate or prove of citizenship after the court finalize the adoption process. Now that I am 18, I would like to obtain my birth certificate but I am not sure how the process work.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not for now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

How old were you when the adoption was completed? What date was the adoption completed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was 15 years old.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the date it was completed is April 10th 2014.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I may have bad news for you. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You may have missed out on automatic U.S. Citizenship. Did your parents apply for you to become a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident before you turned 18? Take a look at this link:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think my parents do not go that far in the process. They stop after the adoption process is finalized by the court.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Then unfortunately, you lost your chance at automatic U.S. Citizenship. One of them will have to file the following forms for you so that you can get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency at least and it must be done before you turn 21: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at

5 years after you get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency approved, then you can apply for U.S. Citizenship.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions