Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I just had an immigration interview at uS consulate in

I just had an...

I just had an immigration interview at uS consulate in Guangzhou China, we were told that I didn't earn enough on my tax returns. Can I use my old retired parents s as a joint sponsor and only show their assets on i864, they don't file taxes anymore?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm from California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I brought a i864 joint sponsor to the consulate but I didn't have my parents assets listed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I can list on the i864 that they have $80,000 in savings and a $300,000 house, will that be sufficient??

5/26/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

You can use your parents but one of them (whoever the name of the assets are in) would have to fill out their out own I-864. They can leave the income part as zero and fill out the assets part. They will need to show that they earn at least 3 times the minimum income which for 3 people is $25,525(76575). https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

They can use the savings and the home. For the savings, they have to show bank statements for the last 12 months and for the house, they have to show the value of the home and how much they still owe on it and the deed. They only get credit for the equity they have in it. Since they have enough in savings, they don't have to show house documents.

If everything is in both their names, then the other parent who doesn't fill out out the I-864, needs to fill out the I-864A as a household member.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to choose a RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS at the top. Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important since it is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't , I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if you just have additional follow up questions you'd like to ask, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JEN MARIE. "

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney