How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 118710
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a U.S. citizen trying to get a U.S. passport to travel

Customer Question

I am a U.S. citizen trying to get a U.S. passport to travel abroad. I have submitted a birth certificate, a birth affidavit and a baptismal record. Because my mother remarried and changed my last name the passport agency continued to reject my request and asks for an adoption decree which I cannot obtain prior to my travel date. What can I do?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: I am a natural born citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No but am considering help from my Congressman.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you cannot do anything without the proper paperwork, since Homeland Security has the right to insist on all supporting documentation and if your name was changed then they need to have that documentation before issuing the passport. If you cannot obtain the necessary documentation, even your congressman cannot override Homeland Security, so you have to get that documentation somehow or no passport will be allowed I am sorry to say.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.