Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have an impotant question. How should i do that? i am here

Customer Question
hello, i have an impotant...
hello, i have an impotant question
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: how should i do that? i am here on a 20-hour GTA ship and i have a SSN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am paid 1400 dollars each month by the university. i am a phd research assistant
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/15/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Which university is paying you? And what is your current status in the U.S.? And what questions do you have?

I am studying at tennessee state university. i am a graduate assisstant employed by the university
i am paid 1400 each month. i have started resale on ebay. However i am a basic seller because to become a proffessional seller on ebay i have to provide SSN and i don`t dare that! is there any chance i get deported?

So you are on F-1 student status doing OPT?

No OPT. I am just funded because i am working 20-hour GTAship each week as a PhD student.

I understand that, but unless you are a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, or illegally in the U.S., you have to have some status that allows you to study. Are you on F-1 or M-1 student status? Or perhaps J-1 exchange status?

Ok. That's what I thought. Unfortunately, while you can sell your personal property any way you like, you cannot be buying and selling products through ebay. You are here to study and not to work or otherwise create competition that could potentially displace a U.S. worker or take away an opportunity from a U.S. worker or student. This is highly regulated. So yes, you can lose your F-1 status by doing what you have planned. If you sold one or two things a month, I wouldn't really see much of a problem, but one or two things a week or more, then you start having problems. You are only really allowed to receive passive income from an investment or perhaps annual or semi-annual rentals. So for example, you could not do Uber. You could not do Airbnb (unless it was semi-annual or annual rentals). And you could not do day trading either, for example. So stay away from anything that is regular activity that can generate income.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

would you please answer to may last 2 questions?
1.So how i`m going to be tracked and caught?2. i am just a basic seller with limitation of selling 30 items a month. I did not provide my SSN and this is the reason i am a not a professional seller and i don`t have any Ebay store!
Considering all these limitations what is your suggestion

1) They have ways after 9/11. Besides, your sales are public, not private. It is not that hard to track.

2) I still would not do it. All it takes is for someone to report you, even someone that you think it a friend, a former friend, an ex, etc. If you are having financial problems, talk to your DSO and see if you can get work authorization because of financial hardship.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.