Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

When a US citizen files divorce ,is it not essential to

Customer Question

when a US citizen files divorce ,is it not essential to inform NVC and withdraw supousal visa application if wife is yet to immigrate and inform his wife as court papers take a long time,even more than a year to reach her?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Good morning

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

What visa application was filed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Permanent Residence or green card filed by USA citizen husband in USICS and goes to NVC for final permission for embassy interview.Later filed divorce in US but NVC contiued its activity as he never informed them that he has filed divorce so that his wife does not get VISA to contest divorce to get a default.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

It is fraud not to inform the NVC of the change in marital status.

However, the sponsoring spouse has to submit a I-864 to the Embassy for the case to proceed. If heis divorced I am sure he will not do so.

If he has already done this he must notify the NVC of the divorce and send a copy of the divorce decree to Portsmouth.

Experts are only paid for their time providing you a low cost alternative to getting immigration law information if you RATE their answer. Everyone likes to think that their time and knowledge has value, I am sure you expert to be paid at work for your time and knowledge. It is no different for an expert. No rating, no pay. May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.
Judith

Have you had an opportunity to review the answer?

Judith