How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5064
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Daughter entered US with a so-called tourist visa. Daughter

Customer Question

Daughter entered US with a so-called tourist visa. Daughter was adopted in the state of New Mexico, last year at 16.5 years. How on earth can she get her US citizenship? Has technically been undocumented now for the last ten years.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Both wife and I are naturalized US Citizens. She is from Korea.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No....I used to practice immigration law and was a member of AILA MANY moons ago!.Big problem is daughter was brought to country under guise of just being tourist. Also, wife is actually daughter's aunt.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No....I think this is complicated enough!
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm so sorry, but the adoption is not enough to give her legal status in the US through you. She would have needed to be adopted before turning 16 for her to be able to get any immigration benefit from the adoption.

The only way for her to legalize at this point is on her own, for example, if she married a US citizen, if she won an asylum case after applying, through an employer's petition in the future

I'm so sorry. Wish I had better news. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and I cannot change them.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to choose a RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS at the top. Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important since it is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't , I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if you just have additional follow up questions you'd like to ask, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JEN MARIE. "

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave any feed back.

Please let me know how I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a positive rating for us. Thank you for your consideration