Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My wife just received her US citizenship and wants to

Customer Question
legally change her last name...
My wife just received her US citizenship and wants to legally change her last name to my last name. On her US Citizenship certificate it has my last name, on her passport it has my last name, but on her SSN it has her previous name.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: She is a US citizen now. We have completed everything with USCIS. They ask us if we wanted to change the last name on the certificate and we said yes, but I don't think that is offical
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, we got married in 2011 in Florida and didn't do the name change at that time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are currently living in Germany working with the US military.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/11/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

She will need to apply for a corrected Social Security card. While the service is free, she cannot apply online. To get a corrected Social Security card, she will need to fill out this application. She can then take it in-person or mail it to her local SSA office.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

What should I give them copies of when I mail the application out to the local SSA office?

You will need to provide them with one document to prove your identity and a document to supporting the name change. Please read the instructions that are given in the application link as it gives you the specifics on this.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer