Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I (the petitioner) am applying for Immigration Visa for my…

I (the petitioner) am applying...
I (the petitioner) am applying for Immigration Visa for my Spouse. She lives and works in New Brunswick, Canada. But her passport/nationality is India. Will NVC schedule the visa interview in Canada OR India OR the US embassy/consulate I choose? How can I request Montreal, Canada -- where the US consulate in Canada handles immigrant visas ?
4/30/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

If she is living in Canada legally then she can ask for the interview to be in Canada. You can request it on the I-130 form.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to choose a RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS at the top. Hopefully you feel I have earned 3 or more stars for my service. This is very important since it is how I receive credit from what you paid. If you don't , I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if you just have additional follow up questions you'd like to ask, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and appreciated :)

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JEN MARIE. "

By legally, do you mean citizenship of Canada? Because she only has a work visa to work in Canada. We got married in New Brunswick, Canada. Does this change things?

No I just mean if she is living there and working legally. She does not need citizenship.

I am filling out the I-130 application, but I do not see where I would request that. Maybe this section:The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the US, but he or she will apply for immigrant visa abroad at the US Embassy or US Consulate in: City ? Province ? Country ?FYI, follow up question: I am taking this route so she does not have to quit her job in Canada while applying for adjustment of status in the US OR waiting for a work permit. Does this route make sense?Thank you.

Yes, that is the question where you write it.

Yes, that is the right route otherwise she would be in the US without a work permit for a few months.

Follow-up question. On the US Embassy/Consulates In Canada website, it states: In Canada, immigrant visas are processed at the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal. Does that mean the visa interview could be scheduled elsewhere -- like Halifax which is closer to her -- and then that paperwork is processed in Montreal? Or does it mean the interview must take place in Montreal?

No, it has to be done in the consulate where immigrant visas are processed.

I hope this helps and hope to have earned your positive rating.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Earlier I had said that my spouse in Canada is working in Canada. Could I also apply for the K-3 visa for her to enter and leave the US as she pleases, WHILE working in Canada, WHILE applying for a work permit in the US too ?

This is a separate question in a new subject about the K-3. I'm happy to answer it but you would need to start a new question post and ask and you can start with FOR JEN if you'd like me to answer it.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney